A player must not use equipment or wear anything that is dangerous to himself or another player (including any kind of jewellery).
The basic compulsory equipment of a player comprises the following separate items:
- A jersey or shirt – if undergarments are worn, the colour of the sleeve must be the same main colour as the sleeve of the jersey or shirt
- Shorts – if undershorts are worn, they must be of the same main colour as the shorts. The goalkeeper is permitted to wear long trousers
- Stockings – if tape or similar material is applied externally it must be the same colour as that part of the stocking it is applied to
- Footwear – canvas or soft leather training or gymnastic shoes with soles of rubber or a similar material
- are covered entirely by the stockings • are made of rubber, plastic or a similar approved material • provide a reasonable degree of protection
- The two teams must wear colours that distinguish them from each other and also the referees and the assistant referees • Each goalkeeper must wear colours that distinguish him from the other players, the referees and the assistant referees
Infringements and sanctions
In the event of any infringement of this Law:
- play need not be stopped
- the player at fault is instructed by the referees to leave the pitch to correct his equipment when the ball next ceases to be in play, unless he has already corrected his equipment
- any player required to leave the pitch to correct his equipment must not re-enter without the permission of the referees or third referee
- the referees, either directly or through the third referee, check that the player’s equipment is correct before allowing him to re-enter the pitch
- the player, if he has not been substituted, is only allowed to re-enter the pitch when the ball is out of play or under the supervision of the third referee when the ball is in play
A player having been required to leave the pitch because of an infringement of this Law and not having been substituted who re-enters the pitch without the permission of the referees or third referee must be cautioned.
Restart of play
If play is stopped by the referees to administer a caution: • the match is restarted with an indirect free kick taken by a player of the opposing team, from the place where the ball was located when the referees stopped the match (see Law 13 – Position of free kick)
Advertising on equipment
Basic compulsory equipment The basic compulsory equipment must not have any political, religious or personal slogans, images or statements. The team of a player whose basic compulsory equipment has political, religious or personal slogans, images or statements will be sanctioned by the competition organiser or by FIFA.
Undergarments Players must not reveal undergarments showing political, religious or personal slogans, images or statements, or any advertising other than the manufacturer’s logo.
Players or teams revealing undergarments showing political, religious or personal slogans, images or statements or advertising other than the manufacturer’s logo will be sanctioned by the competition organiser or by FIFA.